Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...With a Side of Scarlett O'Hara

I've channeled my very own Alexander.

Today was Week 3, Day 1.  The plan?  After a brisk 5-minute warm-up walk, run for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, run for three minutes, walk for 3 minutes, and repeat the walk/run cycle until it's time to cool down with a 5-minute walk.

I think it should've been fairly simple.  But it was awful.  The 90/90 part wasn't bad, but as I started the first three-minute run it was as though I had immediately stepped into a huge pool of quicksand.  Not only did I have NO energy, but I felt like I had strapped an extra 30 pounds to each leg.  Plus, the insides of my knees felt weak, if that makes any sense.  It was just an awful feeling.

I ran the three minutes, listening to my iPod as Katy Perry told me I was a firework, and tried to figure out why this was harder than easier.  Shouldn't it get easier as the weeks go along?  I'm following the training plan.  I'm watching what I eat (before today's walk/run: banana, whole grain toast, Lean Cuisine lunch, 1/2 grapefruit, raw sweet peppers, 4 peanut butter crackers).  Other than one cup of coffee (okay, sometimes two) in the morning I only drink water, and I drink a lot of it.

I've heard of marathon runners hitting wall somewhere late in the race, but a new runner feeling like she's pulling an elephant behind her as she runs for ONLY three minutes?  I could not have felt more like a loser if someone had hung a sign around my neck.  By the time the second 3-minute interval rolled around, I could only run for about two and a half minutes.  I was  convinced that I was running in slow motion.

If this had been an actual race, I would've quoted Erma Bombeck:  I'm so far behind, I think I'm first.

I finished my 30 minutes, got in my car, and once I reached the highway for my half hour commute home, I just cried.  Other than my pride, nothing was really hurt.  But it's a mean old slap in the face to realize that what probably would've been easy in my 20s or 30s is not so easy in my 40s.

In all honesty, I'm discouraged.  And maybe a little mad.  And I'm a whole lot embarrassed  because there were people behind me who had to see me trudge around the track in such a frightening state.  Let's face it...you can't unsee that.

But I'm still determined.

So it's all very well that, like Alexander, I had a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  But, as we all learned from Scarlett O'Hara, I just won't worry about that right now.  Why, I'll whip up some new running clothes from the draperies in the parlor windows, and I'll think about it tomorrow.




4 comments:

  1. You're not alone, we've had those days and we all still do, all runners will tell you the same. What worked before and you felt like a Queen of the track will not necessarily work the next day. Stick with it and it will get better. Personally I started on a walk/run program and I experienced the same as you. I changed to a run only program. not a fast program but it was a mental thing of the first time I changed to a walk my body thought the session was over and couldn't start again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your encouragement. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I hadn't thought about the fact that maybe it IS confusing to switch between walking and running. My friend and coach said the same as you...everyone has those days no matter where you are in a program. Runners make it look so easy, though. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a note. I hope your training is going well.

      Delete
  2. To finish Scarlett's quote - I'll think abut that tomorrow, because tomorrow is another day!

    I'm not promising that tomorrow's run will be easy, but you can do this! The very fact that you stuck it out on Tuesday when every fiber of your being was telling you to stop says something abut your determination. I hope it doesn't sound condescending when I say this but I'm proud of you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's anything but condescending! Thank you, Tammy, for taking on so many trainees! :)

      Delete